September 29th, 2022
Dr. Thomas Bell, MD
Breast implants aren’t exactly meant to last a lifetime, but that doesn’t mean they can’t. Although the FDA advises changing breast implants every ten years, this isn’t the main reason why people decide to do so. Some also remove or revise their implant procedure due to cosmetic concerns or health complications.
Thankfully, our clinic is skilled in replacing and revising breast implant procedures, and many come to us looking to correct work done from other clinics.
Are you unsure if you need a breast implant replacement? Continue reading to learn more about what to look out for, why one replaces them, and how the procedure takes place.
What is a breast implant replacement?
Replacement of outdated breast implants with fresh ones is the aim of breast implant replacement surgery. While replacing the implant material, it is frequently also the intention to alter or enhance the breasts’ look, which could involve
Desire to increase or decrease Any of the following factors could be the driving force behind the desire to have breast implant replacement surgery:
- breast size
- Capsular contracture pain
- Concern over implant migration or rupture
- switching to silicone implants or using a different type of implant
Breast implants and the breast tissue that covers them may vary in size or form over time, giving the breasts a look or feel less appealing than the intended outcome. Additionally, implants don’t last forever. So how long do breast implants last? It is estimated that implants should be replaced roughly every 10-12 years. Do you have to replace breast implants precisely during this period? Not necessarily, but the longer one waits after this period, the risks of rupturing can increase.
Breast implant replacement surgery must be customized to the patient’s goals and preferences because it is not a common or routine treatment. Therefore, this surgery should be carried out by a board-certified plastic surgeon knowledgeable about all types of breast surgery and who has experience performing these procedures. A proper surgeon will pay attention to the patient’s goals and desires and create a specific surgical plan tailored to address all of the issues at the time of surgery.
Who benefits from having their breast implants revised?
Patients who have previously undergone breast augmentation and are now dissatisfied with their implants or worried about the condition of their implants are candidates for breast implant replacement surgery. This technique can allay those worries by substituting new Toronto breast implants for the ones currently in place.
Who makes a good candidate for a revision procedure for breast implants?
In general, you might be a suitable candidate for a breast implant replacement if:
- Your breast implants’ size, shape, or look bothers you.
- You worry about the durability or state of your implants.
- You are in good physical shape, and your weight is steady.
- You set reasonable goals.
- You don’t smoke.
Review breast implant before and after pictures from breast implant replacement surgery and find out what to anticipate during recovery if you’re thinking about having surgery. Patients benefit from forwarding planning by having realistic expectations and experiencing a quicker recovery.
What is the price of a breast implant replacement?
The price of breast implant replacement surgery from a plastic surgeon may change depending on their experience and location. In some cases, breast implant replacement surgery may be covered by health insurance. Additionally, the implant warranty may, in some cases, pay for some of the expenses related to this surgery.
Ask your plastic surgeon whether they provide patient financing options if your insurance does not cover breast implant replacement surgery.
Breast implant replacement costs can include:
- Surgical fee
- Costs of a hospital or surgical institution
- Implant prices
- cost of anesthesia
- Medication prescriptions
- post-operative clothing
- X-rays and medical examinations
Consider the surgeon’s experience and your comfort level when selecting a board-certified plastic surgeon for breast implant replacement surgery, as well as the overall cost of the procedure.
What can I anticipate from a consultation for a revised breast implant?
Be ready to discuss the following at your consultation for a breast implant replacement:
- Your medical objectives
- Drug allergies, medical conditions, and medical remedies
- Alcohol, cigarettes, drug use, vitamins, herbal supplements, and current prescriptions
- prior operations
- Examine your overall health and any risk factors or underlying illnesses.
- Look over your breast implants.
- Take pictures
- Talk about your options and suggest a course of action for therapy
- Discuss the anticipated results of breast implant replacement surgery and any dangers or potential issues.
Your consultation will significantly impact the outcome and safety of your breast implant revision treatment. Numerous inquiries regarding your health, preferences, and way of life will be made about you.
Make sure to ask questions of your plastic surgeon. It’s crucial to comprehend every detail of your breast implant revision procedure. We’ve put together a list of inquiries you can bring to your meeting with your cosmetic surgeon as a convenience.
Whether it’s anticipation or a little preoperative tension, it’s normal to have some worry. Do not be afraid to express your emotions to your plastic surgeon.
What concerns about a breast implant replacement should I discuss with my plastic surgeon?
The following are good questions to ask your surgeon when meeting for your breast implant replacement consultation:
- Are you licenced?
- Did you receive special training in plastic surgery?
- Which specific training in breast implant replacement methods do you possess?
- How long have you been studying plastic surgery?
- Do you have permission from the hospital to carry out this procedure? If so, which medical facilities?
- Is the office-based surgical facility licenced by the state, authorized by Medicare, or accredited by a nationally or state-recognized accrediting agency?
- What are my chances of success with this procedure?
- What should I do to achieve the greatest results?
- Where will you carry out my surgery, and how?
Before you give your consent, all risks, including these ones, will be disclosed. You must speak candidly with your plastic surgeon about all of your concerns.
How is a breast implant replacement operation carried out?
During the surgical procedure, you will receive medication for comfort. Both general anesthesia and intravenous sedation are options. The option that is ideal for you will be advised by your doctor.
- Depending on the operations being performed, several incision types will be used during breast implant revision surgery. Any of the following, but not just those, maybe the site of the incision:
- Under the breast, in the crease, is the inframammary incision.
- Vertical incision or Wise pattern incision for the Toronto breast lift
- A partial or complete incision around an areola is known as a peri-areolar incision.
- Closing the incisions. The skin incisions are closed using sutures, skin adhesives, tapes, or clips.
After your procedure, it is time for breast augmentation recovery time. Dressings are put over the surgical area for compression. You may or may not be required to wear a support bra or another sort of garment, depending on the specifics of your procedure.
A brief placement of a tiny, thin tube under the skin may occasionally be required to drain any accumulated blood or fluid.
You’ll receive detailed instructions, which can include how to take care of the surgical site after surgery, drugs that can be used topically or orally to promote healing and lower the risk of infection. You’ll also be made aware of specific issues to watch for the following surgery or your general health, as well as when to consult your plastic surgeon again for follow-up appointments.
If you’re looking for plastic surgery in Toronto, look no further than Toronto Plastic Surgeons!
Your initial consultation with one of our highly skilled Toronto breast augmentation surgeons will be scheduled with the assistance of our team of committed professionals, who will also help you navigate any questions or concerns you may have.
You can get in touch with us by scheduling a consultation online or by calling 647-723-3739 to talk with a professional staff member. We’ll be happy to help you find greater body confidence.